Friday, April 6, 2012

Kids Just Don't Understand...but really who cares?

After reading my post here about body shaming macros my dear friend Patrick requested that I tackle another stupid macro meme that is running rampant on the interwebs lately.  Exhibit A:

But hopefully kids these days know that "PROBALLY " isn't a word.

In my opinion the reason these are so stupid is because the toys they refer to still exist.  They are not even hard to find.  If your kid doesn't have an Etch-a-Sketch, Magna-Doodle, and a Viewfinder it's kind of your fault. You are obviously a terrible parent. Go buy them one if you really care about it. None of them cost more than $15.

It's a coaster right?

And here we have the floppy disc!  Are you really upset that your kid doesn't know what this is? Do you feel like you missed out on 8-tracks or Betamax?  Yeah, I didn't really think so.  If you do feel that way then it's okay, you are probably just a hipster.

The "never" is red because this is serious business you guys!  
You couldn't possibly tell them or anything! 
Be sure to use your best grandpa impression "BACK IN MY DAY...", they will LOVE IT.

Our kids will never know the connection between a cassette tape and a pencil!  Oh no! They will also never know how annoying it was to use those cassette tapes to "pirate" music off the radio.  Do you remember being 8 years old sitting waiting for the "Top Ten Countdown" on the radio to finally play YOUR song so that you could record it?  How agonizing it was when you missed those first few notes because your tiny fingers didn't press the record button fast enough?  How annoying was it to have to rewind & fast forward to find where the song that you wanted to hear was?  How many times did you forget that you were recording because you were dancing your ass off and singing into a hairbrush while jumping on your bed and end up with a bunch of songs that you didn't want and eventually had to record over?  (Sidebar: please don't tell my mom I jumped on my bed,...or that I still do...)

Today at my grandparents' house my son picked up the first rotary phone he's probably ever seen.  He immediately knew it was a phone because he isn't an idiot.

Kids will also never understand that we had to blow in our NES cartridges to make them work, or that TV shows aired once a week on a certain channel and if you missed the episode you had to cross your fingers you caught the reruns in the summer.  Their playgrounds aren't made of sharp metal and splintery wood, they don't have to memorize everyone's phone numbers, and they will never have to take film to be developed.  They will text instead of passing notes by shoving a piece of paper inside a hand held pencil sharpener.

Poor them with their iPads, iPods, iPhones, Netflix, ereaders, and cable TV!  You can keep your stinkin cassettes and VHS tapes...I'm going to go flip on my Xbox and watch catch up on the TV I've missed this week.

The following macro basically sums it up for me, though I wanted to live like Pippi Longstocking instead of The Boxcar Children.  I guess we all dreamed about being orphans...that's kind of messed up.

 Don't even act like these aren't your feelings too.

2 comments:

  1. Jumping on the bed is bad, young lady! You are in sooo much trouble! BTW...Idk what the link is between a pencil and a cassette tape is either, but that "probally" just means I'm a dumbass because we both know how old I am! I used to pretend that we were the Boxcar children because we kind of were. And 8 track tapes rule! There's nothing like having your favorite song click in the best part to change over and finish in the next track! And the 8 track players would eat every 1 in 4 tapes just to be spiteful. Oh, for the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when the tape stuff accidentally got pulled out you took a pencil and stuck it in the little wheel part that spins to wind it back up. :)

      Delete