Tuesday, September 25, 2012

YOU DARN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN

If you've been reading this blog for a while you might remember THIS post about the insane Jesus people from the beginning of the year.  Well today I had some more bible thumping visitors. The scenario played out a bit differently this time.  Let me start at the beginning of my day.

I woke up, did a couple hours of schoolwork until I literally couldn't see straight.  Then I worked out for 45 minutes while watching Battlestar Galactica.  So I finish working out and by this time I don't have time to shower before getting my son Alden off the bus.  No big deal, the bus people see me at 6 AM with my crazy hair and half asleep face, they aren't going to care that I'm in my workout clothes.  I remember it's trash day so I start collecting the trash from the bins around the house & put them outside. I go back into the kitchen to look at the clock, I have seven minutes til the bus gets here.  Cool, I can grab a water and chug it.

Then I look up and I see them.  The theme from "Jaws" immediately pops into my head.  In my brain I'm going "shit shit shit!" then I do what any rational person would do and I run to hide in the big open part of my hallway where you can't see in from anywhere outside.  They bang on the door.  I stand there thinking "okay, good they are going to think no one is here and then they'll leave".   Then they bang on the door again.

THEY STOOD THERE FOR SEVEN MINUTES UNTIL THE BUS GOT HERE.  I threw the door open in their faces and said "If you will excuse me, I have to go get my child off of the bus"  then I stormed between them, turned around and added "And while you are at it you should just go ahead and leave." One of them responded with "ARE YOU SURE?" and I said "YES, I AM VERY SURE."

Now I am sure that to some people I look like an asshole in this scenario, and I probably kind of was.  But I don't care.  In my opinion my behavior was completely called for.  Case in point:
I don't answer the front door, pretty much EVER.
I saw them coming, I saw their bible & their literature.
I didn't answer the door.
I didn't answer the door for MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES.
I was trying to do the polite thing and just ignore them until they went away.
They are the ones who wouldn't let me be polite in that situation.
I HAD to get my child off the bus or I would have let them stand their knocking until their version of Jesus came back.

Alden got off the bus and was really confused about who was leaving and parked backward in our driveway.  He said "Who is that?" and I said "Just some rude, crazy people, I told them to leave us alone.  I don't think they'll be back."  He laughed.  Then we came in and he did his homework and I ordered him this book from Amazon because I want him to be educated when people like this start spouting off their beliefs.  I want him to decide for himself what he does or doesn't believe.

I have anxiety disorder and I ALWAYS go back in my brain after any conversation and think of how I could have spoken more eloquently or handled a situation better, and honestly when it comes to door to door preaching I always think about really snarky things I wish I had said instead.

I'm thinking about making a sign for both my doors that just says "We aren't buying what you're selling, please move along."

No comments:

Post a Comment