Sunday, December 11, 2011

The One Where I'm not a TOTAL Grinch...

Everyone knows I'm a Halloween girl, that's just how I roll. I see candy buckets, zombies, and skeletons and I get those warm fuzzies that most people get around Christmas time. I am not "a Christmas person", hear me out before you criticize though. I am NOT a total Grinch, I just find Christmas Spirit in different things than most people.

I have no desire to have an 8 foot tree taking up half my living room and stabbing me in the feet with smelly needles, I'm perfectly content having a small 3 foot tree with a ridiculous amount of ornaments and Star Wars characters on it. Yes, we decorate with Star Wars, we're a nerd family and we're awesome. I love that our Christmas tree is the same size as Alden's 3 foot stocking. I like my rainbow colored icicle lights because in my world everything is rainbow or glitter...or both.

I miss the big huge Christmas bulbs like the one I ate that time when I was two years old but apparently they are "dangerous" or something so we don't have any of them. Seeing them does make me happy though...especially the blue ones (the color I ate). Jackass doesn't have crap on me! I was eating glass @ age 2! SIDEBAR: That might be what's wrong with me now.

I have no desire to have a Light Up Baby Jesus under a spinning disco ball in my front yard, an inflatable snow globe with a character suffering from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy being pelted with snow, or light up reindeer that the neighborhood children will move into perverted positions when I'm not home.

Glitter and tinsel make me happy. I still love Hanson's Christmas album "Snowed In" and I don't care what anyone thinks. I still watch for Santa flying through the air in an unironic way because I swear I saw him a long time ago with my Aunt Mac while standing on my Papaw's front porch.

I am not one for the TV Christmas Movies that are all sappy but I love A Christmas Story, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Love Actually, The Grinch, and It's A Wonderful Life. It is not Christmas until I've seen them all.

It's also not Christmas until I have read my favorite Christmas books. I fell in love with The Best Christmas Pageant Ever when I was in the first grade. I still read it every year. As I've gotten older I've added two more books to my Christmas collection. Judith Viorst's "A Visit From St. Nicholas (To A Liberated Household)", and my very favorite Christmas book "Holidays On Ice" by my favorite author David Sedaris. These books are definitely not everyone's cup of tea but if you don't like my tea that's your problem.

Looking at this I realized I like Christmas more than I realized. It's no Halloween but I guess we can't always have it all.

And last but not least DOCTOR WHO has a Christmas Special every year, so that is always something amazing to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment